Testing Testing
experiments with photography and other toys. Images Across The Earth focuses on beauty, not technology.

Friday, September 7, 2007

River of Light

A couple of weeks ago I was out with my trusty 18 - 70 Af-S 1:3.5-4.5G DX Nikkor lens, which is what I used for 90% of our China and Tibet photos (and 99% of those that turned out well). It's a great lens which I'd highly recommend.

Along with the usual pretty shots of the Charles River and Harvard there were some technically interesting photos in the set. The blinding reflection of the afternoon sun tricked the camera into using a high speed for a small aperture. The result was good depth of field and an interesting blend of [technically] over-exposed, under-exposed, silhouetted and goldilocks elements in the picture.

Notes:
Composition was very quick and somewhat haphazard since the reflection was blinding and I didn't want to burn out my retina or the sensor.

fwiw, I have also always really liked the way this lens renders water.

F 16 .. 50 mm .. 1/400 sec


F 11 .. 62 mm .. 1/640 sec

No comments: